Wednesday, February 17, 2010

PIZZA!!!

I don't remember where I found this recipe, originally, but I'm eternally gratefull to whomever came up with it!!!

I get thumbs up all around the table from adults and teens alike on this one at home and on the college campus. Even those that aren't Gluten Free love it!

Here's the recipe
GF Pizza Crust-makes 2 personal size crusts. It's a very forgiving recipe. I made 5X the recipe in the college kitchen w/in-exact measurements and it came out great!

3/4 C arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1/2 C brown basmati flour
2/3 C Teff flour (or flax meal)
1 tsp Xanthan gum (I think I'll add another 1/2 tsp when I do it again)
1 tsp salt
Mix all that together in an electric mixer, if you have one. If you don't make sure you add the xanthan gum last as it makes the dough very stiff.

In a small saucepan heat to 105-115 degrees:
1/2 C milk (I used Rice, Almond works too)
1/4 C water
Add yeast and sugar when the liquid gets to the right temp
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
Add this to the dry, mix on medium

Add to the mix:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 well beaten egg whites

Mix everything for about 5 minutes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Line a large baking sheet w/parchment and spritz w/oil. This dough is super sticky and the oil really helps being able to handle the dough later.

Get your hands wet. When they get the slightest bit sticky wash them off. Wet, clean hands makes handling GF dough MUCH easier.

Split the dough into 2 balls and pat into circles about 1/4" thick on your parchment pan.

Spritz the top of the dough w/more oil and cover loosely w/plastic wrap. Set aside to rise for at least 20 minutes.

I like to bake right on the pan that the dough raised on.

Bake 5-10 minutes (I did 8 at a mile high, and it could have been in a smidge longer)

Top your pizza and broil til golden brown and sizzly :-D

No comments: